Website Turning Point for Women and Families
Organization: Turning Point for Women and Families, New York
Job Title: Outreach Coordinator – Full time
Start Date: Immediate
This opening offers an excellent opportunity to work with a NYC non-profit organization that works with Muslim women and families to address domestic violence through crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, advocacy, outreach, education and training. Turning Point is committed to helping Muslim women empower themselves and live a life free of violence. It also works with young Muslim women and girls, provides peer support and helps them acquire leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Plan and undertake extensive outreach targeted towards various South Asian Muslim communities in all five boroughs of New York City including mosques, Islamic Centers, schools, and community based organizations to engage Muslim women in social services in the area of domestic violence.
- Organize educational seminars/discussions in the Muslim community to raise awareness about the prevalence and impact of domestic violence on women and families.
- Recruit and train volunteers and coordinate all outreach activities, participate in community events and represent Turning Point at MSA gatherings, Ramadan events, Muslim Day Parades,
conferences, seminars etc.
- Assist with engaging South Asian Muslim women and families affected by domestic violence and connect them with services offered by Turning Point.
- Oversee Turning Point’s electronic communications by maintaining social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc), generating e-newsletters, and making website updates.
- Promote media coverage of Turning Point through press releases, media advisories, Op-ed pieces, and letters to the editors.
- Provide administrative support as needed and other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
The ideal candidate will either be a graduate or an under-graduate with at least 2 years of experience doing community outreach in a social service setting. Proficiency in English, Bangla and/or Urdu is required. Must have excellent written and oral communication and social media skills. Experience in the area of domestic violence and public speaking is highly desirable. The candidate should be comfortable working within the New York City’s South Asian and Muslim communities and have a good understanding of the unique and complex needs of the community. A demonstrated commitment to working with the underprivileged South Asian Muslim and immigrant women and a deep desire to effect social change is highly desirable.
The candidate will also be organized, creative, energetic willing to learn and grow and ready to make a commitment of at least 2-3 years.
Benefits: Paid vacation, sick time, personal days, health insurance benefits including dental and vision
Salary: $42,000-45,000 per year. Exact amount will be based on qualifications/skills and experience.
To apply for this position, please send us your resume with a cover letter including names/email and phone contacts of 3 work-related references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Until filled Contact: email@example.com No phone calls please!
Turning Point for Women and Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org