Organization: Turning Point for Women and Families, New York
Job Title: Social Worker – Domestic Violence – Full time
Reports to: Social Services Supervisor, LMSW
Start Date: Immediate
This position offers an excellent opportunity to work with a NYC non-profit organization that serves Muslim women and families by addressing domestic violence through crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, advocacy, outreach, education and training. Turning Point is committed to helping
Muslim women empower themselves and live a life with dignity and free of violence. It also works with young Muslim women and girls, provides peer support and helps them acquire leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Document and complete clients’ intake forms;
- Conduct assessments and safety plans;
- Provide individual counseling, including crisis intervention and phone counseling to caseload of clients;
- Facilitate and co-facilitate support groups;
- Assist clients with government entitlements, housing, referrals for medical and other services;
- Advocate for and educate clients about their rights as survivors of domestic violence;
- Make referrals and connect clients with legal and immigration services;
- Maintain accurate and timely case records;
- Maintain confidentiality;
- Understand that mosques, schools and community centers are sources of referrals and develop a working relationship with mosques/Islamic centers, schools and colleges;
- Assist with extensive outreach to the diverse New York Muslim community including mosques, Islamic Centers and community-based organizations and inform them about social services available to them;
- Ensure that law enforcement agencies, hospitals, courts and ACS are aware of Turning Point as a resource for Muslim women, girls and families;
- Maintain professionalism both in the office and in the community;
- Provide administrative support as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
The ideal candidate will be a licensed MSW (or prepared to take/pass the license exam within 6 months of employment). At least 2 years’ experience in the area of domestic violence is preferred. The candidate will have a good understanding of the needs of both American-born and immigrant Muslim women living
in the New York area. A non-judgmental and empathetic approach is especially important, as is an interest in serving the Muslim community, learning about domestic violence and its impact on Muslim women and families. The ideal candidate will also be a team player, organized, creative, energetic and willing
to learn. Proficiency in written and spoken English, excellent telephone skills and fluency in spoken Bangla is required.
Benefits: Paid vacation, sick time, and personal days; health insurance benefits including dental and vision.
Salary: $60,000-65,000 per year. Exact amount will be based on qualifications/skills and experience.
To apply for this position, please send us your resume with a cover letter including names/email and phone contacts of three professional references via email to email@example.com.
Closing Date: Until filled Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please.
Turning Point for Women and Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com