Organization: Turning Point for Women and Families, New York
Job Title: Part-Time Youth Leader (QUEENS RESIDENT PREFERRED)
Reports to: Youth Program Director/Coordinator
Duration: Two years
Start Date: Immediate
This is an excellent opportunity to work with a NYC non-profit organization that works with Muslim women and families to address domestic violence and runs a Youth Program for Muslim girls/young women.
The Youth Leader will be part of a team and work closely with the Youth Coordinator to help expand and strengthen our weekly Youth Group, organize/plan ARISE NY! Workshops and the annual Summit as well as our annual Mecca to Manhattan:Muslim Women Moving Mountains young women’s leadership workshop series. Our weekly youth group provides a safe and nurturing place along with peer support and youth leadership trainings that help teenage Muslim girls/young women gain confidence and develop skills that enable them to become agents of change. Our ARISE NY! Anti-Bullying Project encourages an interfaith exchange and sharing of skills/tools that help youth address issues of racism, Islamophobia, bullying, and hate. Finally, our M2M Workshops connect our young participants with female leaders in the Muslim community. This position offers an excellent opportunity to a young person to learn, grow and develop skills and confidence through hands-on training.
- Work with Turning Point’s Youth Coordinator to plan, organize, and facilitate ongoing youth programs, including weekly youth group meetings and recruitment of youth members.
- Work with youth members to further develop ARISE NY!, a youth-led campaign and annual city-wide summit event which seeks to raise awareness among non-Muslim and Muslim youth of bias and hate crimes that target Muslim youth in post-9/11 New York.
- Help plan and implement the annual spring Mecca to Manhattan: Muslim Women Moving Mountains workshop series, including identifying female Muslim leaders to serve as workshop facilitators
- Participate in community events and youth-related initiatives with youth members
- Help with the preparation of regularly scheduled reports
- Provide administrative support as needed and other tasks as assigned
Qualifiactions & Experience:
The ideal candidate would be a young undergrad or graduate who is eager to work with Muslim and non-Muslim youth, willing to learn quickly and enthusiastic about this position. The individual must be comfortable working within NYC’s Muslim community and going into mosques/Islamic Centers and be able to interact with different people. Other desirable skills include flexibility, creativity, being organized and energetic.
To apply for this position, please send us your resume with a cover letter including names/email and phone contacts of 3 work-related references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com