Organization: Turning Point for Women and Families, New York
Job Title: Housing Project Coordinator-Full time
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Start Date: Immediate
This opening is for a new project that Turning Point is launching with a grant from the Department of Justice-Office on Violence against Women (OVW). It offers an excellent opportunity to work with a NYC non-profit organization that serves Muslim women and families by addressing domestic violence through crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, advocacy, outreach, education and training. Turning Point is committed to helping Muslim women empower themselves and live a life with dignity and free of violence. It also works with young Muslim women and girls, provides peer support and helps them acquire leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Complete intakes, assessments, and safety plans for clients enrolled in TPNY’s New Beginnings Housing Assistance Project
- Assess each client’s housing needs and help create a plan for rental housing
- Assist clients in developing a long-term plan to secure employment and achieve stability
- Make referrals and connect clients who are seeking assistance in the areas of job training, public assistance, legal services, etc.
- Provide financial literacy counseling to clients seeking such services
- Build relationships with real estate agents throughout Queens to identify appropriate and affordable rental units for survivors of domestic violence
- Build and maintain relationships with partnering community, corporate or charitable organizations
- Advocate for and educate clients about their rights as survivors of domestic violence
- Maintain accurate and timely case records
- Maintain confidentiality
- Assist with extensive outreach to the diverse New York Muslim community including mosques, Islamic Centers and community-based organizations and inform them about social services available to them
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Any other tasks assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have a BSW, BA or a BS with 2 years’ related experience. She will have a good understanding of the needs of both American-born and immigrant Muslim women living in the New York area. A non-judgmental and empathetic approach is especially important, as is an interest in serving the Muslim community, learning about domestic violence and its impact on Muslim women and families. The candidate will also be a team player, organized, creative, energetic and willing to learn. She must be proficient in written and spoken English, have excellent telephone skills and must speak at least one language spoken by the Muslim community especially Bangla, Urdu, Punjabi or Arabic. A commitment of at least 2-3 years is required.
To apply for this position, please send us your resume with a cover letter including names/email and phone contacts of 3 work-related references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Until filled Contact: email@example.com No phone calls please!
Turning Point for Women and Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org