Organization: Turning Point for Women and Families, New York
Job Title: Domestic Violence Counselor/Advocate – Full time
Reports to: Social Services Supervisor, LMSW
Start Date: Immediate
This position offers an excellent opportunity to work with a NYC non-profit organization that serves Muslim women and families by addressing domestic violence through crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, advocacy, outreach, education and training. Turning Point is committed to helping
Muslim women empower themselves and live a life with dignity and free of violence. It also works with young Muslim women and girls, provides peer support and helps them acquire leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Complete intake, assessments, and safety plans for clients seeking services.
- Provide individual counseling including crisis intervention and phone counseling to clients;
- Co-facilitate support groups;
- Assist clients with government benefits and housing applications, and access to medical and other
- Advocate for and educate clients about their rights as survivors of domestic violence; make referrals and connect clients with legal and immigration services;
- Maintain accurate and timely case records;
- Maintain confidentiality;
- Understand that mosques, schools and community centers are sources of referrals and develop a working relationship with mosques/Islamic centers, schools and colleges;
- Assist with extensive outreach to the diverse New York Muslim community including mosques, Islamic Centers and community-based organizations and inform them about social services available to them;
- Ensure that law enforcement agencies, hospitals, courts and ACS are aware of Turning Point as a resource for Muslim women, girls and families;
- Maintain professionalism both in the office and in the community;
- Provide administrative support as needed;
- Any other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
The ideal candidate will have a BSW, BA or a BS with 2 years’ related experience. The candidate will have a good understanding of the needs of both American-born and immigrant Muslim women living in the New York area. A non-judgmental and empathetic approach is especially important, as is an interest in
serving the Muslim community, learning about domestic violence and its impact on Muslim women and families. The candidate will also be a team player, organized, creative, energetic and willing to learn. must be proficient in written and spoken English and have excellent telephone skills. Fluency in spoken
Bangla is required.
Benefits: Paid vacation, sick time, personal days, full health insurance benefits including dental and vision.
Salary: $48,000-52,000 per year commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply for this position, please send us your resume with a cover letter including names/email and phone contacts of three professional and/or volunteer references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Until filled Contact: email@example.com No phone calls please.
Turning Point for Women and Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org